8 Easy Tips for Starting a Cleanse
You’ve made the decision to start a cleanse with one that fits your health and lifestyle, and now here are some easy tips to assist in success! It’s critical to have a plan in place so you can successfully complete your cleanse –
- Scheduling. There will never be a perfect time to cleanse (unless you go on a retreat), but try to ensure your social obligations are at a minimum (weddings are a good thing to avoid!).
- Stay hydrated! You’re experiencing a lot of toxin removal and water will aid that flush. Always have your water bottle near you – you’re more likely to reach for that water when you’re hungry if it’s accessible!
3. Gently Exercise. During and immediately after a cleanse go for walks and take yin or restorative yoga classes. High intensity cardio or weight lifting can cause undue strain on your body as it’s focusing on detox. Stay active, but keep mindful.
- Morning tea. Mix boiling water with lemon juice and fresh ginger and drink every morning first thing. Lemon and ginger and natural detoxifiers, and it’s a good habit to continue long after the cleanse is completed.
- Add spice! Use Ayurvedic principles in cleansing and focus on spices like cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Chew your food. Even the liquid meals – since digestion starts in the mouth, you are signaling to your brain, which will release chemical to decrease hunger pangs.
- Hot-Cold Treatments In the shower alternate hot and cold which increases circulation and aids in detoxification.
- Have a completion plan. Slowly introduce naturally detoxifying foods into your diet. Ask yourself: What are some of the unhealthy diet choices I made previously that could be permanently removed from my diet?
Continued use of juices or smoothies as a meal replacement can assist with the long term effects of cleansing. Try this foolproof green smoothie recipe base and get creative!
- ½ to 2 cups of Greens (kale, spinach, chard)
- 1 cup of liquid (ideally water)
- Up to 1 cup fresh fruit (banana, melon, berries)
- Up to 1 cup frozen (ice or frozen berries)
- Protein (1-2 T nut butter, 1 scoop protein powder, ½ cup greek yoghurt)
- Boosters ( fresh ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, mint – to taste)
Call us at 416-792-2599 to learn more about cleansing at Back2Life Chiropractic in Toronto.